Your goal is to compare the three major forms of corporate organizations: partnerships, S corporations, and corporations. You will then select a domestic organization, identify its entity type, and describe how the organization’s tax methods are detailed in its financial report.
Write a 4–5 page paper in which you do the following:
- Use your textbook, the Internet, Internal Revenue Service | An Official Website of the United States Government, to research the three major forms of corporate organizations: partnerships, S corporations, and corporations.
- Compare and contrast the tax rules and treatment applicable to those three forms of organization and the major way in which the tax treatment affects the shareholders or partners.
- Explain at least two reasons why a business owner might opt for one form of organization over another. Provide support for your rationale.
- Identify two sources of tax guidance (for example, IRS code, Revenue Procedure) for each form of organization and how it defines a component of the tax policy for that form of organization.
- Research an organization by identifying its entity type (corporation, s-corporation, or partnership) and describe how that organization’s tax methods are detailed in their financial reports.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment:
- Evaluate the tax rules and treatment applicable to organizations and their impact on shareholders.